is a Partner with Tharpe & Howell where he has been since he started his legal career 25 years ago. He specializes in complex litigation and business transactions.
- Residential, Commercial and Public Works Construction Litigation: This includes catastrophic property and personal injury losses as well as matters involving design and construction defects, economic damages, transactions, design professionals, field service, contract disputes, homeowners' associations, premises liability, environmental, ADA, and condemnation.
- Wrongful Death and Serious Injury Claims: This includes matters involving structural collapse, transportation, construction site injuries, professional liability and medical malpractice, and premises.
- Insurance Coverage Litigation: First party and liability claims; breach of contract and bad faith, indemnity and contribution, subrogation, intervention, additional insured endorsements, surety bonds, failure to procure, business interruption, and insurance agency E&O.
- Business Litigation: Products liability, breach of contract, labor and employment, business transactions, business entities, unfair competition, trade secrets, copy rights and trademarks, online sales and marketing, vendor/supplier disputes, and commercial matters in China, Mid-East, Europe and Mexico.
- Commercial Transactions: Strategic business planning; licensing agreements, employment contracts, partnership agreements, confidentiality and non-competition agreements, copyrights and trademarks, asset sales and mergers, internet sales and affiliate relationships, real estate and construction contracts.
- General Counsel: Provides legal and business management consulting for companies involved in real estate, construction, internet marketing, health and beauty products, healthcare, pipeline corrosion products, eye wear, furniture, studio production and broadcasting, insurance and legal services.
Education and Legal Experience:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: MCLE/CE Certified writer and speaker on the use of ADR to resolve matters. Developed and promotes techniques and structures for the use of Neutral Evaluations to resolve complex cases, and utilization of creative ADR techniques to resolve high-exposure cases.
- Litigation Management: Development of techniques and strategies to cost-effectively manage complex litigated cases. This includes the utilization of data-based analytics to value cases early and accurately.
- Social Media Evidence: MCLE/CE certified writer and speaker on how to successfully utilize the use of social media evidence to influence the results of litigated cases.
1989 to Present - Partner with Tharpe and Howell. Licensed to practice in California, Washington State, and District of Columbia. Admitted Pro Hac Vice in Nevada, Illinois, New York and Florida. Bachelor of Science from Golden West University in 1978. Juris Doctor Degree in 1980. National awards in Corporation and Civil Procedure.Business Experience:
1977 to 1989 - President of Austin Merle Company, nationwide distributor of consumer products, and Product Development Services, company specializing in design and development of consumer and industrial products and services.